Joint pain, bloody bowel movement, seizure. Blood test done. Have family history of MS, lupus. What could this be?

In my family there is a history of MS, Lupus, and polymicitis. Well in the past few months my swelling has gotten more chronic and my joints are aching terribly and my seizures have come back. Along with this as of yesterday I have had two bloody bowel movements like a menstrual. I went and got blood work done from an XXXXXXX medicine doctor and this is what he checked for RA Latex Turbid.     High     14.6. but crp is not active so lupus is negative? is this true since you are a rheumatologists who can analyze deeper.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Diagnosis of Systemic Lupus Erythrmatosus is based on clinical and biological criteria. The joint pain, bloody bowel movements seizures with the past history are very suggestive of systemic lupus. The biological or laboratory criteria include Anti Nuclear Antibody testing (ANA), ant Sm anti bodies, A complete blood count, renal function tests. None of these are presented in your case, and we really cannot dismiss in any means the possibility of systemic lupus.
CrP levels or Erythrocte Sedimentation Rate (ESR), are indirect indicators of levels pf inflammation and are not part of the diagnostic criteria of lupus.
I strongly suggest you book an appointment with our rhumatologist for a proper evaluation and institution of a management plan.
Thanks and best regards,
waiting your further questions with pleasure if any,
Luchuo, MD,
Follow-up: Joint pain, bloody bowel movement, seizure. Blood test done. Have family history of MS, lupus. What could this be? 6 minutes later
Thanks it also shows here that my XXXXXXX is negative but overall should I get tested over again.y
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
A good number of patients with Lupus have negative ANAs. More specific tests like the Anti Sm antibodies, anti Histone antibodies and anti - Double stranded DNA tests do exist to be surer. Diagnosis and management of Lupus as earlier mentioned is based on clinical criteria too. Presence of three or more of these major criteria (11) and minor criteria are scientific justifications to put the patient on treatment and monitor.
I am still of the opinion of taking an appointment with a rheumatologist.
Thanks and best regards,
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.