Jittery and lump feeling in throat. Have low BP and fast heart rate. What am I suffering from?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have a constant jittery /throbbing/moving feeling in my throat, it is very hard to describe. At times it feels as though my throat is tightening up and feels like it affects my breathing, I feel out of breath at times when I have this feeling in my throat. I also wakes me from my sleep, I get an extremely nervous feeling in my gut and it gives me a vey strage senstation, and usually upon waking I have a fast heart rate . My bloodpressure is on the low side usually 104/59 and heart beat is usually somewhere in the mid to upper fifties per minute. I also have a feeling of plhem that at times makes it hard to take and again at times makes me feel like a can't breath right. feeling of lump in the throat is also always there. Every morning I wake up I have this feeling in my throat which makes me feel nervous , nauseous. Please help
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 15 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for asking your query. The history which you have provided combined with your past history of erosive gastritis is suggestive of GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease). In this contents of the stomach travel up the food pipe and can sometimes reach your mouth as well when you are sleeping. It can be very distressing and can lead to a terrible taste in the mouth and feeling of nausea. It can also explain your symptoms of a lump in the throat and phlegm.
My advise is that you consult a gastroenterologist at the earliest and have yourself evaluated. He may recommend an upper GI endoscopy, which can confirm the diagnosis.
In the meantime, you can try to sleep with a couple of pillows under your head, have your meals atleast 3 hours before you go to bed and avoid coffee/ tea and aerated drinks in addition to spicy food.
I hope I have answered your queries. Please feel free to clarify any other questions.
Follow-up: Jittery and lump feeling in throat. Have low BP and fast heart rate. What am I suffering from? 7 hours later
I do not have any taste in my mouth and I have had an upper endoscopy, gerd was not something that was mentioned. I was hoping to find someone who wasn't just looking at the traditional answers, since I have had numerous tests done. The constant movement , jittery/ nervous weird sensation within my throat and stomach has become overwhelming. I just can't seem to get anyone to think outside the box and think of other things that could be causing my symptoms. Could it be autoimmune, neurological ? So hard when you are trying to get your life back and live and your body and mind tells you there is something wrong. Anything other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 6 hours later
I can see that you are really bothered because of your symptoms. When was the last time you had an endoscopy?
There can be some motility problems of the food pipe (esophagus) such as achalasia cardia, which can also lead to such symptoms. This is a neurological problem and it is usually diagnosed by barium swallow and manometry.
Another cause could be webs in the esophagus which are usually associated with anemia (decreased hemoglobin) and difficulty in swallowing. These can also be picked up on a barium swallow or endoscopy.
I would strongly recommend that you visit your gastroenterologist and discuss these conditions with him.
Are your problems also associated with weight loss? I would be able to elaborate further if you could attach your previous reports.

Hope you get well soon