Ask a Dentist   »  

Jaw pain (left side) with clicking sound, ear ache, swollen lymph nodes, strong smell, 15 weeks pregnant. Treatment ?

I have been having jaw pain (left side) for about two weeks now, but in the last few days my symptoms now include ear ache, swollen lymph nodes, and some kind of drainage down my throat, all on the left side of my head. The jaw pain is painful enough now that it is really hard to chew, and there is also a clicking sound coming from my jaw. I was told by my dentist a few months ago that I had a fracture in one of my lower left molars that may or may not need future treatment. The tooth had become very sensitive when brushing just prior to my developing the jaw pain--now I don't notice the sensitivity so much (just the jaw pain). I did notice a stronger plaque smell when I flossed that tooth tonight. I am age 36, height 5'4", 127 lbs. I am also about 15 weeks pregnant (third). My question is, do I call my doctor or my dentist?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 21 minutes later

First of all congratulations to the mother to be.

You should call your doctor.

As per the problem that you have there chances of some upper throat infection are there.

Dentist can take care of only dental part and obviously can not take care of other infections.

As you are pregnant any infection must not be ignored.You need oral,ear and throat examination for having complete idea.

Any infection in that area can lead to swollen glands and pain.

Take light and soft diet,drink more of fluids and avoid taking any medicines on your own as you are pregnant.Simple analgesics like Tylenol can be taken for reliving pain.They will not lead to any problems and will help you by the time you see your doctor.

After examination you might need a course of analgesic and antibiotic drugs.

I hope this helps,in case you have some more queries,I will be glad to answer them.

Wishing you all the best for the time to come and have a great time,enjoy your pregnancy.