I've been taking calcium channel blockers for 24 years for

ENT Specialist
Question
I've been taking calcium channel blockers for 24 years for Prinzmetals Angina Is this why I have no sence of smell?
Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anosmia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
Loss of smell can be due to chronic use of calcium channel blockers or some other cause like sinus disease or some endocrine disorder.
Please tell me do you have any nasal symptoms other than loss or smell?
Any history of thyroid disease?
Any history of hormone therapy?
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: I've been taking calcium channel blockers for 24 years for 18 hours later
Yes, my mom, dad and brother have chronic runny nose. We've been this way all our lives. My problem started after starting the calcium channel blockers. I do have hypothyroidism but that started years after starting my heart pills. Same with the hormone therapies which I stopped a couple years ago. I've never been aware of any endocrine disorders.

So I think I have my answer, which is the calcium channel blockers. My suspicion all along. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anosmia

Detailed Answer:
hi
You are always welcome with any questions in future too.
I hope my advice proves helpful to you.
You should use a steroidal nasal spray twice daily for few days. This might help to recover the sensation.
All the medicine prescribed by me will be available only on prescription.
Thanks and regards