Itchy skin on bottom, back and ankles. Smoker. Taking Risdone, Qutan and Devsal

My skin in certain areas has been itching a lot lately. This is on my bottom and right upper back and my ankles. I itch so much that the skin has patches of blood. I can co-relate it to days when i have smoked too much. I smoke most days of the week about 3 -5 sticks. Im on psychiatric medication : Risdone LS 1 tablet at night, Qutan SR 100 1 tablet at night, Devsal ER 250 1 tablet after lunch.
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Itching in generally has many causes , factors. Pruritus may occur in dermatological diseases, psychiatric , systemic or neuropathic diseases. In your case seems to be correlated with your condition for which you taking mentioned by you medication and as a side effect of Devsal ER 250 (Divalproex ) , this drug has many adverse effect including itching, rash, psoriasiform eruption. I will recommend you to check with your Physician again doses of your medication and rule out any other factors/diseases that can produce itching. Once you will remove the trigger , itching will disappeared. In the meantime until you will clarify with your treating Doctor you may try antipruritus lotions, creams, like Calamine lotion, or creams/gels containing camphor/menthol, or Pramoxine Hydrochloride cream/lotion; oral tablets once a day that will relieve itching : Loratadine, or Cetirizine. All this medicines you can get over the counter. As a general consideration, avoid scratching (risk of infection) , keep skin clean, apply daily medication.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,