Itchy skin around vagina. Do not have a discharge. Painful when scratched. What to do?

hi i ve been suffering from itchy skin round my vagina and bottoxs i dont have any discharge from either of these if i scratch it goes into bumpy raw skin and is very painful i seem to get it every two weeks i have been with the same partner for 4 years .
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

What you are suffering from may be pruritus ani and pruritus vulvi.

This is not necessarily an yeast infection but with time some fungal element may come in.

My suggestion is to use a mild corticosteroid anti fungal combination cream twice daily for a fortnight or so.

These creams are not available OTC.
You may see a dermatologist for a thorough examination and scraping for yeast.
If the itching is severe you may take hydroxyzine25 mg once at night.

I will be available for any further questions you have.