Itchy red spots appeared on stomach and started spreading. What is causing this?

i have red spots on my stomach that itch like crazy. it started with just 2. now i have approx. 8 on my stomach and is spreading to my side. this happened in a matter of 3 days
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 28 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

I have gone through your picture and the history mentioned.
There can be 2 possibilities mainly:
1) Contact dermatitis : This is an allergic reaction to anything that might have come in contact with the area.It may be in the form of insect secretions, bed bugs, or any other contact factor.

2) Scabies: This is caused by an itch mite infestation; Causes similar papules in abdomen, wrists, forearm, folds of breast. Is particularly itchy at night.

You may look out for bed bugs in your house and take measures accordingly.
Scabies can be confirmed by looking for the mite under a microscope, something that can be done by your dermatologist.
Meanwhile, you may take anti histamine tablets like Fexofenadine or Cetrizine at night to reduce the discomfort due to itching.

Topical steroids like Hydrocortisone will help; but I suggest you review with your dermatologist to rule out scabies first before applying the same. Scabies will require treatment with Permethrin application to eradicate the mite.

I will be happy to answer any follow up queries you have.

Wishing you speedy recovery,