Itchy bumps on right back shoulder and painful to touch. Spreading to right breast area

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Cluster of bumps on my right back shoulder area,that are itchy at times, painfull to the touch. And seemed to have,traveled aroud to my righr breast area..
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send your complete details

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

I can understand your concern for cluster of bumps on right back and shoulder area with itching and pain over the same.

There can be mutiple of possibilities of of your problem. The history provided is too brief to reach to any conclusive point but even then I am making a probable diagnosis of Herpes zoster.
To confirm the above I request you to please kindly elaborate your query in detail so that I can help you best regarding the health issues. Kindly elaborate the problem in terms of -

- Since how long the problem started - is it within few days of period ( it is quite important to know the exact time period since the problem begun)

- Is the pain and itching present continuously or at some specific time.

- Are the bumps or eruptions appear slightly red and fluid filled.

- Are the bumps or eruptions present in group or scattered manner

You can send a picture of the back and breast area so that I can analyze it better. For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia.

Kindly also provide anything related to query which you think is important to tell us.

Hope to hear you soon from your side to help and guide you best.
With best health wishes,
Dr Sanjay
MD Dermatology

Follow-up: Itchy bumps on right back shoulder and painful to touch. Spreading to right breast area 9 minutes later
I would say it started about 4 or 5 days ago, started out really itchy, and now its just a patch of bumps that are red and tender to the touch. the do not appear to be fluid filled... pain and itchy isnt present all the time, I would say more painful to the touch. the bumps appear to be scattered in a group ..please see photo attached..

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly see the details below

Detailed Answer:
Hello young man,

Welcome again to the forum.

Thanks for uploading the picture and the relevant details of the problem. You have uploaded only one picture. I would like to see the other areas also. I request you to send/upload the picture of other affected areas too.

In the picture I can see patch with couple of deeply red areas. Though the picture is not frankly suggesting herpes zoster but even then I would like to keep the possibility on because of its sudden appearance, pain, deep redness and further spread to the chest and shoulder area in 4-5 days of period.

It is not unusual to find such kind of picture in zoster where rather than XXXXXXX blister only some red areas with pain are present on one side of body not crossing the mid-line. This is because of good immunity present in young man like you.

I suggest you to take a painkiller tablet such as paracetamol by mouth for two times a day after meals. This will reduce the pain intensity and if pain persists then you can take it for 3 times at a gap of 8 hours. For the itching part antihistamine tablet such as Loratadine (Claritin or lorfast) would be most appropriate to be taken in the same manner as for paracetamol.

Do not apply any kind of creams or ointments or any home remedies as it alter the actual picture of the problem.

I further request you to not to touch the areas unnecessarily as it can cause further aggravation.

With best wishes of early recovery of the problem.

Dr Sanjay
MD- Dermatology

Follow-up: Itchy bumps on right back shoulder and painful to touch. Spreading to right breast area 2 days later
thank you for the reply, that lesions appear to be soaring over now, and I have since developed lesions under my arm, right breast, and a couple news ones on my back... I have uploaded new pictures for you to see, the first us a picture of the cluster, the 2nd is a picture under my arm, and lastly a pucture of the on on my breast area, I have neen taking anti depressant citalophram , and recently have stopped taking them, I also take levothrixine, and lypitor.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly see the details below

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for uploading the latest pictures.

I have gone through the whole series of latest pictures sent by you and after diligent examination I can make out that it is an episode of herpes zoster only with mildest of all the symptoms.

Because of your good immunity the XXXXXXX blisters are not expressed and the severity of pain is also bearable. To tell you briefly about Herpes zoster – it is a viral infection caused by dame group of viruses which causes chicken pox. When zoster occurs before 40 years of life then it is bit mild of all and never causes seer painful symptoms as well other of the problems. As the age increases beyond 40 years it equivocally increases in severity. I have seen people wincing in pain after its occurrence that they are not able to tolerate it.

Though antiviral tablets are the mainstay of treatment but are given within 72 hours o onset of problem. Now in yourself as it was 4th day when you posted the query as well as this past 6 days since the starting of the problem so we do not need any antiviral tablets.

You can take round the clock pain killer tablets either every 8 hourly or 6 hourly if the pain is high. Reduce to its lowest as soon as you feel it is declining. You can also take Loratadine tablet for itching and burning sensation. For application it will be better to apply over the counter available calamine lotion for 2-3 times in day in a thin layer.

You can take your other of medications as will not interfere with this problem.
The complete series of problem will be start reducing in nest 7 days and you will be alright in 2 weeks of period.

Dr Sanjay
MD- Dermatology

Follow-up: Itchy bumps on right back shoulder and painful to touch. Spreading to right breast area 5 minutes later
am I contagious at this point? did the anti depressants stoppage, lead to the shingles? should I avoid my wife and children? reasin I ask becase I think I may be suffering from withdraws from the citalopham?

Brief Answer:
Kindly see the details below

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again to the forum and thanks for you further query.

Generally it is not contagious to adults but it can to contagious to children below 12 years of age who have not had chicken pox and that too on close contact. The contagious state remains till there is formation of brownish scab which occurs in around 14 days. So it would be better for you to avoid too close contact with your family members as a precautionary part for next 7 days.

Taking citalopram will not going to cause any problem in your current illness and rather will be helpful in reducing the pain intensity. So you can very well continue citalopram and related medicines which you are already taking.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be glad to help or if you do not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Regards.
Dr Sanjay
MD (Dermatology)