Itchy bleeding vagina, difficulty in urination, abdominal discomfort. Had genital herpes. Is this an outbreak?

Infertility Specialist
i have an itchy and slightly bleeding vagina. it just started today. i have hardly urinated at all. when i tried to urinate, only a few drops. it did not hurt the times i tried to urinate. no visible cuts or rash in vagina but i have herpes so its possible they are not visible. i have slight lower abdomen discomfort. my period went off a couple of days ago and while it was on, the blood had a very strong smell that was not normal (i don't know how to describe the smell. it was not fishy...). on the last two days of my period, the strong smell went away completely. i have no smell down there that is out of the ordinary. i had unprotected sex yesterday with my boyfriend who also has genital herpes. neither of us use suppressive therapy. to my knowledge, i have not had an outbreak in 9 months. he has no symptoms.

please help. thankful for any advice. i have no health insurance so if i can undoubtedly cure this without paying $100 dollars to only be seen by the clinic (not counting fees for blood tests, pap smear, urine test, etc.), i will try my best to do so. i am a 21 year old student.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I understand your concern. Following are my observations and comments for your query:

1) You have not urinated and you dont have burning micturition. Simple solution is to drink lot of water. You seem to be dehydrated. Your body copes up during menses by regulating certain hormones. Hence drink lot of water. It will help you to urinate.

2) Itchy vagina and foul smell during menses you are complaining seem to be fungal in origin. hence I suggest following remedy:

- Keep the private parts clean by washing with soap and water twice a day.

- Shave the pubic hair to prevent sweat from accumulating

- Apply anti fungal ointment over the private parts to prevent itching (antifungal ointments are available over the counter).

- Use antifungal vaginal suppositories (available over the counter).

3) I recommend using condoms by your boyfriend as I am afraid you might contract many more infections due to unproteccted intercourse.

My above recommedations are in view that you cannot afford to visi doctor. If symptoms persist, do visit doctor next time forexamination and vaginal smear for identification of type of organism affecting you.

Since this has occurred for first time, dont worry. You are unlikely have these symptoms again.

I hope I answered your queries. Let me know if you have any more queries.
Please accpet my answer if no more queries.