Itchy and burning sensation both during and after passing stool. Dr. advises operation for polyps. Any alternatives ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
For the past few years, i have been suffering from some inconvenience (for a lack of better term) during passing of stool. It started with mild irritation while passing stool and later i started feeling a small tissue coming out of the anus and going back by itself after I am done passing the stool. Recently, that tissue stopped going back by itself and when i push it back it does go back in. I feel itchy sensation and burning sensation both during and after passing my stool.
I recently visited a general surgeon and after he inspected my anus, he informed me that I have a "Polyp" and fissures in my anus. He also informed that this was formed due to infection because of "thread worms" and he told me that he will perform a small operation to remove the polyp and clean the infection.

I want to understand if this is a safe option/risks involved with this. Should I be visiting a gastroenterologist surgeon and not a general surgeon. What are the alternatives to the surgery, for instance, is "Colonoscopy" advisable here.
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 9 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

I have gone through your mail and noted its contents.

You are most likely to be suffering from a chronic fissure in Ano with a sentinel pile mass. All the features described are consistent with the above condition.

This is not a serious condition and will require a small surgery in the form of lateral sphincterotomy and excision of pile mass. This is a daycare procedure and can be done by any experienced surgeon. A prior colonoscopy is always advisable.

After the surgery you can go home on the same day. The doctor can prescribe you some pain killers for couple of days.

Let me know if you have further queries.