Itching vagina, discharge and bleeding during sex. Maybe bacterial infection. Any OTC medication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My vagina itches, has a discharge and it bleeds when I have sex. I think I may have a bacterial infection. Is there something over the counter I can pick up to get rid of it without having to schedule a pap smear. And if I have to schedule a pap, can I go to a clinic to get this done?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Itchy discharge from vagina is most commonly found in vaginal fungal infection which has bacterial vaginal infection superadded to it. Only over the counter vaginal pessaries are not sufficient for the treatment as it tends to recur in case of incomplete treatment.
You need to consult your gynecologist for a vaginal swab examination and proper treatment with oral anti fungal agents and antibiotics.
You can get the vaginal swab and pap smear done from the clinic nearby.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.