Itching on the body, bleeding, hives on arms and legs. Tried peroxide, benadryl and prednisone. Cure?

I am itcy over the entire body, it's almost hysterical. I'm bleeding, hives on my arms and legs. I've tried peroxide and epsom salts, benadryl, zertec, hydrocordisone, prednasone...I'm out of answers
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

The most likely triggers for acute urticaria (hives) are allergies, allergies to medicines,viral infections, , dental and sinus infections, fungal infections, blood transfusions and vaccines. But sometimes hives may be idiopathic.

You are already having a history of thyroid disease which can itself cause recurrent hives as well as itching all over the body. First of all get your recent thyroid status checked and the dose of thyroid medication monitored.

In your case, the following measures can be taken:

1)     Treatment of hives is by oral antihistamines which you have already taken. The most potent antihistamine, however, is probably the anti-depressant doxepin which can be taken under prescription. You can get doxepin prescribed from your doctor.

2)     In your case, along with doxepin, the best mode of action is to give a short burst of systemic steroid with a moderate dosage (e.g., prednisolone 1 mg/kg/day), and then try to taper the dose of steroid.

3)     Also wear cotton clothes and apply calamine lotion which will help in soothing the skin.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.