Itching in private parts, masturbate occasionally. Problem?

i am 23 year old unmarried girl
i hav itching problem since last 2 years in my private part.
i ocassionally masturbate.
but dont know while sleeping at night i get itching over the private part and usually keep my hand there while i sleep.
is this a serious problem?
i am afraid to consult a doctor. and there is no gynecologist in my city.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Itching in the private parts could be due to fungal infection, dermatitis, poor hygiene, etc. If the itching is not associated with any kind of vaginal discharge then it is less likely to be due to a fungal infection.
Keep the area clean and wash the area with soap and water daily. You can use a topical antiseptic and steroid ointment like Betnovate-N or Clostar-GM twice daily and see if it helps you.
If the problem persists then you will have to consult a gynecologist for physical examination and appropriate treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.