Itching and swelling in legs, patches of broken weeping skin. Am type 2 diabetic.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My lower legs have regular itching and now swell around the calfs and ankles. This is combined with patches of broken weeping skin, particularly on the shins. I seem to be in a itch scratch cycle. i am type two diabetic and manage the condition well, but this problem has arrived over the last 3/4 weeks and wont seem to heal.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later

The itching in your legs along with a broken weeping skin is likely to be due to the leg swelling which is causing the poor circulation to the skin of the legs. Your symptoms are suggestive of stasis dermatitis.

The swelling may also be due to kidney disease. I suggest you get a renal function tests done.

The cause of swollen legs needs to be treated first so that a good blood circulation can be established in the legs.

The oozing of liquid is due to secondary infection of the skin. A specific antibiotic is needed after culture sensitivity of the swab from your leg. Local absorbent hydrocolloid dressings and adequate care is needed to heal the affected part.

Elevating the ankle above the heart while resting (to increase venous return and prevent tissue swelling), wearing properly fitted support hose, and applying topical therapy are necessary.

Systemic diseases like Diabetes also need to be controlled well for early relief.

Topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin and Bacitracin might provide some relief till you consult your dermatologist for proper systemic antibiotics and other treatments.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.