Itching and redness on penis head since using condom with formation of whitish material. Can I use olive oil?

Jan 2013

hi doc

i m having some kind of itching and redness on my penis head after i used a condom 3 days back. should i use olive oil for some temporary relief. there is formation of some whitish material under the skin of the penis head too.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXX0000,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, there could be possibility of fungal infection or collection of smegma.
Fungal infection is caused by normal commensal fungus "Candida Albicans" and it is also known as thrush.
Smegma is collection of sebum along with epithelial cells.
Candidiasis is caused by breech in immune system and the fungus is normal present in human being and gets proliferated with decreased immunity.
There appears to high possibility of thrush as redness and itching is present.
Few condoms also contains powder which may cause proliferation of fungus.

Human body also tries to keep this fungus in dormant condition and its gets proliferated after frequent washing with water and soap.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ dermatologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, KOH mount preparation of substance.

Exact diagnosis is required for treatment.
If KOH mount preparation shows fungal hyphae then you should take antifungal ointment and oral preparation on written prescription from a local doctor.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava