Itching after sexual intimacy. Is it yeast infection or worse?

Hi, I think I may have a yeast infection but it is much more itchier than any other time I have had a yeast infection. I only started to get symptoms after being intimate with my boyfriend for the first time. We know for a fact that we were both clean of STD's. Other than vagasil or canesten is there anything else that I could try to help realive the itch/heal the problem?
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 minutes later

Yeast infection or candidiasis is caused by an overgrowth of yeast-like fungi called Candida which normally are found as inhabitants of the vagina, mouth and digestive tract but may overgrow and then cause symptoms.

The characteristic feature is a curd like or cottage cheese like thick vaginal discharge. Get a pelvic swab done from a gynecologist and for specific treatment antifungal pessaries like clotrimazole , miconazole or nystatin are required which are available by prescription.

Follow these measures for quick relief from the symptoms:

1)     Avoid wearing tight fitting clothing like jeans and pantyhose and underwear made from synthetic fibre.

2)     Remove wet or damp bathing suits immediately after swimming.

3)     Avoid douching, perfumed soaps, bubble baths and toiletries.

4)     Change underwear daily, wash them in hot water (to destroy fungi) and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent).

5)     Eat healthy nutritious food and drink plenty of fluids. Also sleep for at least 6 hours in a day.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.