Is using Otomize ear spray safe during pregnancy?

Question
Hi, i have an ear infection and been prescribed otomize ear spray, problem is im 37 weeks +3 days pregnant and wanted to know if this spray is safe for me to use thanks
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: there are safer alternatives Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Otomize spray contain neomycin, dexamethasone and glacial acetic acid. Oral neomycin is considered to be harmful to the baby, can cause hearing defects. However, Neomycin used as spray in the ears has got very minimal absorption and is believed to be safe. If you want to be absolutely risk free, I would suggest you to be off from otomize spray as there are safer alternatives like ciprofloxacin ear sprays. Feel free to post back. All the best.

Follow-up: Is using Otomize ear spray safe during pregnancy? 16 minutes later
Im not sure what to do now as i want my baby to be safe.

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: switch over to oral antibiotics like amoxyclav Detailed Answer: Hi, Then switch over to a similar combination containing ciprofloxacin or ofloxacin (which are much safer than neomycin as drops in ears). Alternatively, as you are nearing term, you may try safe oral antibiotics like amoxyclav or azithromycin which will surely help your ear infection. Your rating with 5 stars will be highly appreciated and helps us in serving patients better. Thank you.

Follow-up: Is using Otomize ear spray safe during pregnancy? 13 minutes later
Are you suggesting all of the above alternatives are safer than otomize spray? How much of this will actually get passd to the baby from the ear? Im just really mad my doctor would prescribe this to me as he could clearly see im pregnant.

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: do not be over concerned Detailed Answer: Hi, As i told, the risk is very less even for otomize spray, BUT the rates of absorption varies from person to person. The names i mentioned have got much lesser toxicity than otomize but may not act as well on your ear disease. There is nothing wrong with the doctor who prescribed, as he was the best person to judge the disease in your ear, and mind you, the infection from the mother can also spread to the baby unless tackled. So do not be over concerned about the spray you used. Even, we prescribe it here for pregnants if we find the infection is heavy and ready to spread. you are already 99.9% safe, you wanted to be 100% safe, and that is why i suggested alternatives. That is barely any difference.

Follow-up: Is using Otomize ear spray safe during pregnancy? 31 minutes later
So do you think me an my baby will be okay if i use these as iam in pain with my ear? I just dont want nothing bad to happen

Brief Answer: yes. you both will be fine. all the best. Detailed Answer: Yes. You both will be fine. all the best.