Ask a Urologist   »  

Is urine smell in skin caused due to enlarged prostate?

Question
my partner has an enlargd prostate....his skin is beginning to smell like urine...not from any leakage in his shorts, all of him .......
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 9 hours later
Brief Answer: May have kidney failure. Detailed Answer: Good day and thank you for being with XXXXXXX ! Are you certain his skin is smelling of urine and not because of leakage? How is his urination or is he on diapers already? Any medicines taken for the prostate or urination? I would suggest some tests to be able to have a better grasp of the situation. I would request for serum creatinine to be able to check the kidney function because if the creatinine is elevated then it means that they kidney is failing already and this might be the reason why you smell urine or urea on his skin. A kidney urinary bladder and prostate ultrasound is also needed to check how big is his prostate and see if he has urinary retention which may cause kidney dysfunction. Urinary retention usually causes back pressure to the kidneys thereby causing some dysfunctions. This can be reversed by putting in a Foley catheter to drain the urine. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes. Regards, Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA

Follow-up: Is urine smell in skin caused due to enlarged prostate? 12 hours later
Thank you .... I am very sure it is not from leakage.....he went to the bathroom exactly 5 times last night and 4 tme Tuesday night....I had heard of uremia and was wonderin if that could be ffrom, not emptyng out completely....his back hurts constantly .....the urine smell s all over his body ..lke through his pores.....should i start with makin appointment with urolologists or a kidney spcialist

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes it can be uremia. Detailed Answer: Yes your partner may have a condition called uremia. Uremia is a condition where the by products of urine are not being released through the urine because of kidney failure. Urinary retention may cause kidney failure due to back pressure in the kidneys. I would strongly urge you to see a urologist and a Nephrologist In the soonest possible time. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes. Regards, Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA