Is there anything serious when diagnosed with Vaginal Infection and given AF kit?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi Today I had my PAP Smear test done and the doctor recommended me to take AF kit because of vaginal infection.Is there anything to worry about this infection or is it a normal infection?anything serious?
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: There may not be any serious problem Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. AF kit contains flucanazole, azythromycin and ornidazole. This helps in treating fungal, aerobic and anaerobic infections. By taking these tablets, course can be completed in one day. There may not be any major problem, for general infections also this tablets can be prescribed. Both partners to be treated simultaneously to prevent future cross infections. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: Is there anything serious when diagnosed with Vaginal Infection and given AF kit? 1 hour later
Hi Thanks for the answer.what is the course of this kit?it has to be taken for how long?I hope there are no serious issues or complications.Is it normal thing to have fungal infection in vagina?or is it because of sex?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Your doctor's prescription to be followed Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually in the kit, we advise to take flucanazole in the morning, azythromycin in the afternoon and two tablets of ornidazole in the night. You have to follow your doctor's advice. One day course is enough usually. Fungal infection can occur due to intercourse, skin to skin contact, usage of antibiotics leading to flaring up of fungi etc. There may not be any major problem. Hopefully with these tablets your infection will get cured. Take care.

Follow-up: Is there anything serious when diagnosed with Vaginal Infection and given AF kit? 13 hours later
Hi, Thanks for answering the above query.are there any side effects of this Kit if taken?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Minor side effects Detailed Answer: Hi, Minor side effects like nausea, bloating sensation, gastritis etc can occur. But usually these will subside soon without need of medication. Better to take the tablets after taking food. This can decrease the side effects to some extent. Take care.