Is there any way to see whether right testicular vein in abdomen is ligated and divided? Undergone laparoscopic high ligation for varicocele

1)I am doctor by profession and working in general medicine.My cousin had varicocele and he had laproscopic high ligation of testicular vein 4 years ago when he was 16 years old but he did not know was ligation done on left sided only or bilateral.he do not know was his right testicular vein was ligated or not?there is no information in his medical record regarding just says laproscopic high laproscopic surgery doctors ligate and divide vein above the XXXXXXX inguinal ring.i wanna know that is there any way or medical test by which we can see right testicular vein in abdomen and can figure out that is it ligated and divided or not? like ultrasound or ct or any other investigation or technique?
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 18 hours later
Hi Doc
Thanks for ur query.
Clinically, if he has varicocele now, it needs to be addressed, even if previous ligation was carried out.
It hardly matters if ligation was done one side or both.
Since u have raised the query, probably a venogram will be able to identify the same. But it is very rarely done as varicoceles are tackled depending on the clinical findings.
Hope i answered, kindly get back for doubts

Dr GS, Urologist.
Follow-up: Is there any way to see whether right testicular vein in abdomen is ligated and divided? Undergone laparoscopic high ligation for varicocele 4 hours later
thanks sir.

1)can testicular vein be seen in pelvis and abdomen on abdominal ultrasound?

2)now a days venography can be performed on ct scan too.on 64 slice and 128 slice ct scans a vein or structure about 0.4mm in diameter can be question is that in inguinal canal testicular vein has 2 or 3 branches,can these branches be seen separately and clearly on 128 slice ct venography?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 21 minutes later

Nice to hear from u.
I have not encountered such a situation yet.
Ultrasound is extremely unlikely to pick up the same.
As far as CT is concerned, a good intervention radiologist will be able to give a valuable feedback.
I am sorry to say that i still cant understand the need to do this, because he needs clinical evaluation to check for varicocele recurrence. If so, it needs to be addressed.
Hope this is of some help. All the best for your profession.
Dr GS, urologist.