Is there any way a fetus can survive after taking the first pill Mifepristone if one does not take the second pill?

Infertility Specialist
i am 7 weeks pregnant and went to a clinic today for the medical abortion. I had my doubts doing it once I found out how far along I was. I thought I was only 5 weeks but do to break through bleeding I miscalculated the missed period. I went through with it after sitter there for 2 hours deciding. I only took the first pill and the sent me home with the 2nd set to take tomorrow. Is there any way a fetus can survive after taking the first pill mifepristone if I dont take the 2nd set? I regret my decision even though I know I am not really prepared to have a child at this stage in my life. Is there any studies that show it can still survive or have i done irreversible damage?
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for your query. I understand your concerns, 1) Single tablet of mifepristone might lead to abortion in few women even if second set of tablets not taken. 2) Even if you change your decision & wish to continue pregnancy, you are welcome. 3) One tablet will not generally lead to any defect in fetus even if you continue pregnancy. 4) Dont take anymore tablets. Your baby might still survive. 5) Considering your age 35 years i would suggest you continue pregnancy as your chance of getting pregnancy will reduce after 35 years of age. I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any follow up query you have. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol