What are the ways for administering medical abortion?

Mar 2016

I have taken mifegest kit having 5 tab one mifepristone 200 mg & other 4 misoprostol 200 mcg .plz suggest dose and tell misoprostol should be taken vaginal or oral .pregnancy of 5 weeks My wife has taken orally one mifepristone 200mg at 10 Am IST today when and how many misoprostol tab of 200 mcg should be taken now.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO SELF ADMINISTRATION. MUST CONSULT WITH DOCTOR. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. Medical abortion can be done for 5 weeks pregnancy with abortion pill. However, self administration of abortion pill (MIFEGEST KIT) is not recommended. The abortion procedure is associated with several risks and complications like nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramp, excessive vaginal bleeding, fainting etc. It can't be controlled by herself at home. Therefore, I suggest to consult with local GYNECOLOGIST or Healthcare provider for safe termination. Supportive medication like pain killer, anti-emetic etc may be required to reduce the side effects. Abortion drugs like MIFEGEST KIT contains one Mifepristone and four Misoprostol drugs - a total of 5 pills. Usually one tablet of Mifepristone is taken followed by 4 Misoprostol after 48 hours (either orally or vaginally). Upon taking the second medication Misoprostol tablet, cramping and bleeding may begin as soon as 20 minutes. Within the next 6 to 8 hours, most women will start to miscarry. This process can be done by her at home if you consult once with local doctor as she requires follow up examination after 2 weeks to confirm that abortion is completed. One pelvic ultrasound scan is required to check retained bits if any. Around 5% women needs D & C or suction (surgical method) to evacuate the uterine cavity. To summarize, you must contact with local gynecologist for emergency purpose and proper advice on follow up visits. Hope, it will be helpful for your information. Kindly, close the discussion, if I have answered your query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: What are the ways for administering medical abortion? 33 minutes later
Can two tab of misoprostol after 24hour of taking mifepristone and another rest 2 misoprostol 200mcg after another 24 hr is possible or 4 tab at a time.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. In my opinion, it is better to take 2 Misoprostol tab orally and 2 vaginally 48 hrs after taking the Mifepristone tab. It is more effective to complete the abortion process. Hope, I have guided you properly. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen
Follow-up: What are the ways for administering medical abortion? 9 hours later
1)plz tell is there any way of taking tab vaginally or how much deep it should be kept ,will tab automatically dissolved. 2)if excess bleeding continues then which medicine should be taken to stop. 3)if severe pain occurs then which composition of analgesic should be taken.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE BELOW. CONSULT WITH LOCAL DOCTOR. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for additional query. Medical abortion with abortion pill or kit is NOT recommended at home without consultation of local DOCTOR. 1) 2 Misoprostol tabs should be inserted into the deep of vagina or near cervix. It is better to consult with your local DOCTOR for proper method. 2) Bleeding with clots will be started soon after insertion of Misoprostol tab or within 8 - 12 hrs in most women. However, if bleeding continues excessively, you need to contact with local DOCTOR or Healthcare Provider for safe termination. 3) Painkiller like Diclofenac tab should be taken along with Ranitidine to relieve pain for some extent. I suggest you to consult with local DOCTOR for complete prescription and proper guidance for safe termination. Regards, Dr Soumen
Follow-up: What are the ways for administering medical abortion? 13 hours later
plz tell bleeding with clot started but it has stopped after some time , it seems not aborted properly then what should be done to complete process.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: CONSULT WITH LOCAL DOCTOR. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for query. I have already explained every steps of medical abortion process and you should follow them only after consultation with local DOCTOR. As she took Mifepristone tab yesterday morning around 10 am, then other four Misoprostol tabs are to be taken tomorrow morning as directed - 2 orally and 2 vaginally. After that, more bleeding and abdominal cramp will start until product of conception is expelled out. It may take one week time to resolve completely. If bleeding is not controlled or product is not properly expelled, you must consult with local doctor for complete assessment and follow up visit. Post pill abortion, one ultrasound scan is required to check retained bits if any. In such case, D & C or suction (surgical method) is required. Hope, it helps for your understanding. Kindly, consult with LOCAL DOCTOR for proper guidance. Regards, Dr Soumen