Is there any side effects of Levipil500 if taken during pregnancy?

my wife is taking levipil 500 is from last 7 months now she is pregnant. is there any side effects of Levipil500
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: levipil can be taken Detailed Answer: Hello sir, I would suggest that your wife should continue taking levipil if she has had good control with it prior to pregnancy. No antiepileptic drug has been shown to be absolutely safe during pregnancy.Having said that I have treated pregnant women with levipil with safe outcomes. Few precautions , she should take folic acid supplementation strictly. Also the drug level should be monitored frequently ie at 10 weeks of gestation and atleast once in a trimester thereafter. Wishing her a safe and happy pregnancy. Please get back to me or any further queries
Follow-up: Is there any side effects of Levipil500 if taken during pregnancy? 20 minutes later
she has been taking folic acid only two months back only. any vitamin tablets needs to be taken. what kind of precautions need to take at the time of delivery. I am planning to do in my home town.
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: No specific vitamins required Detailed Answer: Hello sir, There is no need to take additional vitamin supplements . She should take her regular iron supplements and get her regular antenatal checkups done by her obstetrician. Her BP during regular follow up should be monitored. The mode of delivery, ie normal or caesarian is based on obstetric indications . Any centre with good physician back up would be preferabe.
Follow-up: Is there any side effects of Levipil500 if taken during pregnancy? 22 minutes later
any effect on baby due to taking of medicine. can she give milk to baby to after delivery
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 7 hours later
Brief Answer: can be given Detailed Answer: Levipil is, present in breast milk. However that should not hinder the mother from breast feeding. A close watch on the child for symptoms of poor feeding, lethargy , any new skin rash should be evaluated and the drug stopped immediately.