Is there any over the counter medicine or anything to keep me up during the day?

Is there any over the counter meds or anything to keep me up during the day?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome,

Medications prescribed to keep patients awake for longer periods of time or through the day are psychiatric medicines used to treat conditions like attention deficit disorder (ADD) and narcolepsy (eg. methylphenidate, amphetamine, etc.). These medications are very carefully handled and prescribed, thus they are not easily available, especially not over the counter, which is why you will require a prescription for the same. If you really require these medications, then you will have to visit a doctor.

I hope this information helped, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Follow-up: Is there any over the counter medicine or anything to keep me up during the day? 43 minutes later
You fail to mention caffeine, lol. That keeps you alert
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
Hello once again.

Yes of course, caffeine does keep you alert. If other recommendations can also help, then you could use the following information:
-Sugar containing snacks can help in providing an energy boost and in turn suppress sleep. Other edibles that help keep you awake include: spicy food, cheese, tomatoes, ham, etc.
-Mild forms of exercise
-Deep breathing increases the oxygen reaching the brain making you more alert
-Bright lights in the room
-Stay hydrated
-Of course, caffeine or even tea
-Take breaks to relax your eyes (do not read or watch television during this time; listen to music it helps)

I hope this information is helpful. Wishing you lots of luck in staying awake.

Take care my friend.