Is there any interaction between chlorthiazide and Vitamin- D? Worried for kidney disease

Hi, A blood test in November said my Vid D level was 24.1 so I was prescribed 50,000 Vit D once a week for 12 weeks. Then I tested at 26.9. So now I am starting 2nd round 50,000 Vit D for another 12 weeks. My calcium level for the past 10 years (tested Q2 yrs) has run 9.1 to 9.5. My concern is I am also supposed to take 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide which I have read interacts with Vit D causing an increased level of calcium....... which could result in kidney stones or kidney disease. How likely is this? A pharmacist told me..... probably not a problem until it is long range..... more than 6 months. Your thoughts, please. I am otherwise very healthy but did have a spiral fx of r femur (a crash & burn skiing accident)....... I wouldn't contribute break to bad bones at all. Thanks for ;your input.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Thanks for the detailed description.

There is a interaction between chlorthiazide and Vitamin- D, but there is no need to worry regarding kidney stones due to following reasons .

1. Vitamin- D is required for absorption of calcium from the gut.
Body has a good feed back mechanism which can control the absorption of calcium depending upon the blood calcium levels. So if blood calcium increases above a limit, there wont be any further absorption of calcium from gut.

2.Formation of stone is directly related to blood calcium levels. As per your history, the Vitamin -D levels as well as calcium levels are persistentaly on lower side( normal calcium level is 9 to 11), hence there is nothing to worry at all regarding stones.

Hope I answered your query.

Feel free to ask, if you have any other doubt.

Thank you.