Is there any effective solution for neuropathic pain developed post chemotherapy ?

Hi, is there effective solution for neuro pain?
My mother got it after going through chemotherapy. She is unable to walk, sit or stand. She is on bed for 6months now. Earlier she got treated for cancer and recently she got surgery for disc in lower back. With all this and now this neuro problem she is unable to perform day to day work. She got nerve block may be 3 weeks before but it did not give any positive result. Please reply me if there is something to control pain and cure damaged tissue. Problem is that she cannot do any sort of exercise.
thanks in advance
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I can appreciate that your mom is dealing with some very difficult symptoms right now. Let me provide you with some information and reassurance regarding what is going on.

First of all some chemo drugs can accentuate nerve pain. These drugs are more commonly associated with numbness and tingling but can also be associated with some pain. In this respect, her history of treatment with chemo may be having an effect on her pain right now.

There are some medications which can be used to control pain and particularly nerve pain. We have to be cautious with the use of pure pain relievers such as narcotics as they can be particularly sedating.

Gabapentin is a well known medication which can potentially provide a benefit for a patient such as your mom. Also - Lyrica - a newer medication has shown some good success. Very likely she will need a combo of low dose narcotic pain reliever along with one of the agents in the same class as gabapentin or Lyrica. You can discuss these with your her doctor.

Unfortunately there is no well known way to regenerate damaged tissue. There are some experiments going on in this field but nothing is approved for use as of today.

Finally let me emphasize that it is supremely important that she get some kind of exercise. In the absence of exercise she runs the risk of progressive deconditioning which will be detrimental to her overall health.

Thank you again for your query. I hope my answer has been both adequate and informative. If you should have additional questions I am available to answer them.

With regards,

Dr. Galamaga