Is there any braces for tarsal tunnel syndrome?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, I have carpal tunnel and tarsal tunnel syndromes. I have braces for my wrists, but I was never told to wear braces for my ankles. Do you know if ankle braces would give the same benefits of wrist braces? If so, is there a particular type of brace that might work best to relieve my tarsal tunnel pain and numbness? Thanks, XXXX
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer: custom or over the counter orthotic Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. You can use custom or over the counter orthotic to decrease abnormal foot pronation used in conjunction with the supportive shoe. These orthotics or arch supports stabilizes the foot to prevent pronation, which stretches the posterior tibial nerve. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Is there any braces for tarsal tunnel syndrome? 17 hours later
I have arch supports from an athletic shoe business that I use for daily activities, which seems to have slowed the progression, but the numbness continues to creep up the medial side of my ankle. Since I occasionally wake up in the morning with discomfort and increased numbness to my feet, I was wondering if a "foot drop brace" would be helpful, or would I cause some other kind of problem by wearing that type of brace?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Immobilize your foot with a bandage or ankle brace Detailed Answer: Hi, Instead of using foot drop brace you can immobilize your foot with a bandage or ankle brace. This gives your ankle stability and protects it from further injury.