Is there any alternative cream instead of Fucidin as the chancroid blister has not healed ?

Ive been taking antibiotics for the last seven days for a chanchroid blister on the side of my penis. But still there after seven days although the swelling has gone. The doctor prescribed Fucidin cream but it doesnt seem to work. Can you recommend another cream, please?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 10 hours later

It would have been better if you had sent me the picture of the blister. You may send me the picture to my attention at YYYY@YYYY .

You probably may need antibiotic. I suggest my patients tab doxycycline for 2 weeks, oral antifungal such as tab flucanazole along with a steroid ointment.

You may get the aforementioned drugs prescribed by your primary physician.

I hope this answer is adequate and informative to you. If you have any more queries, I will be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Is there any alternative cream instead of Fucidin as the chancroid blister has not healed ? 10 hours later
Thanks for the reply. I am unable to access a camera at the moment. The blister was diagnosed as Chankroid by a specialist. I was 2 gram zithromycin antibiotic, followed by levofloxacin 750mg once a day for the last five days, and have FucidinH cream to apply, three times a day. However now after seven days the swelling has gone but the small dark 2mm diameter blister which is soft, is still there. Is it possible that I do not need anymore antibiotics, and if so is there a better cream you can recommend ? You mentioned a steroid ointment, but can I use an antibiotic ointment such as Aureomycin?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later

You do not need any change of medications. Continue applying Fucidin and no other treatment is required at the moment.

Sores usually heal within 2 weeks of antibiotic treatment. If nodes are drained, soreness may persist for a few weeks.

Follow safe sex practices as such infections are known for recurrences. Be aware about your partners. Never have sex with unknown people.

Wish you Good Health.