Is there an OTC product which matches efficacy of NIASPAN ER 500?

Question
I was taking NIAspan ER 500mg two tabs at night. Then generic Niacin ER two 500 mg tabs at night. Is there an over the counter product that will work the same. I also take Lipitor 40mg. Thank you very much. I'm 73 and on a fixed income and need to lower my expenses.XXXX
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks or the query. Very frankly speaking there  is no OTC product which can match the efficacy of NIASPAN ER 500 .The closest and the cheapest niacin is generic NIACIN ER 500,which you were taking earlier. While the cost of extended release NIACIN 500 is appox. 10$ ,the cost of 1000 mg NIACIN ER increases by few dollars only. In my opinion,you can opt for 1000 mg instead of 2 tablets of 500 mg. I am sorry that there are financial constraints but you can not jeopardise your health and medical condition. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks

Follow-up: Is there an OTC product which matches efficacy of NIASPAN ER 500? 21 hours later
Thanks for your response. You referred to Niacin ER 500 as costing $10.00...Am I correct in that interpretation? If so where can I get it for that cost or the 1000 at $2.00 more? Thank you.XXXX

Hello, Very frankly speaking,this information regarding the pricing was given to me by somebody and if you say that this is incorrect ,then I would obviously believe you more since you are the direct consumer.I am sorry for the incorrect information,if it is so. According to my information,the cheapest brand of oral niacin is generic NIACIN ER. Thanks

Follow-up: Is there an OTC product which matches efficacy of NIASPAN ER 500? 1 hour later
"someone told me about the $10.00 cost" is not an adequate response. Please check with your source and find out where they got the information and why was it passed on to me as a true medical profession reply. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 minutes later
Hello, Sure,I am definitely going to look into it. As a professional I must definitely give you a correct information. Let me enquire about it. It doesn't serve any purpose to me by giving you a wrong information. Whatever information I received,I innocently passed it to you,thinking it to be a correct one. Thanks