Is there a treatment for the rash associated with low potassium?

Pediatrician
Question
Is there a treatment for the rash associated with low potassium? It looks like she has been scalded with hot water.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 58 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Low serum potassium level does not give rise to a rash.

You mention "it looks like she has been scalded with hot water". This is a bit confusing. Does the rash appear like it or there is scalding due to hot water present? I shall appreciate if you can upload a photograph of the rash using the facility on this platform for me to give you a better opinion.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal

Follow-up: Is there a treatment for the rash associated with low potassium? 4 minutes later
Everything that I have read about low potassium, states that a rash or blistering can form due to the effects on organs, etc. She started having strong leg cramps, then trouble swallowing and then the raised rash on her belly. The WebMed website stated that the low potassium level has an effect on cells and organs and that water (fluid) levels can get out of wack. The rash does not itch or burn, it just looks like it does. The rash just looks like a burn, but is not sore to the touch.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 9 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

You have correctly read about the cellular level of functioning of potassium. However before it shall have an effect on the skin cells the cardiac cells will stop functioning.

How long has the rash been there? What medications have been given for the rash? I shall appreciate if a photograph of the lesion is uploaded using the facility on this platform to guide you further.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv