Is there a relationship between hpv and enlarged circumvallate papillae on the tongue? Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Is there a relationship between hpv and enlarged circumvallate papillae on the tongue, that I should be concerned about oral contagion through tongue kissing, if I have enlarged circumvallate papillae on the tongue and genital hpv?
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 43 minutes later
hi,

human papilloma virus can infect base of the tongue or circumvalle paipllae through kissing or during intercourse.
particularly type 16 is associated with oral lesions, though all lesions may not associated with serious consequences better to treat early.
reference: WWW.WWWW.WW
so as there is possibility you visit ENT doctor once and get examined, if needed he can take biopsy from the papillae and the report can confirm the infection then treatment can be given early.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Is there a relationship between hpv and enlarged circumvallate papillae on the tongue? Should I be concerned? 12 minutes later
Thank you, but can you please tell me, can the swab distinguish between oral or genital hpv? If I have had a positive pap for genital hpv, is it possible the papillae would come up positive for HPV even if I don't have it in my mouth?

...I went to the ENT today and told him about the hpv result and enlarged pappillae, and he said it is just circumvallate papillae...that they have been there my whole life. And I told him...but they haven't been like this my whole life...and he said, yes they have...you just didn't notice :( He said, since there are no warts or lesions, I shouldn't be contagious. I still feel uncertain :(

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 hours later
hi,
culture of the swab can only tell which organism is causing the lesion, as the HPV type can affect both oral and genital warts, culture only cannot distinguish, if you take both local symptoms and culture report that may collectively point out the cause.

anyhow as your doctor told that you are not having any problem and as you are not having any other troublesome symptoms, you don't worry about it.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.