Is swollen testicle in children a sign of hernia?

My 4 yr old has a swollen testicle. It's been a few weeks now. It doesn't seem to bother him but it's not going away. Could it be a hernia?
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for sending your question. This is most certainly a situation that requires a physical examination by a medical doctor. I urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible with a pediatrician or family medicine physician. There are several conditions, benign and otherwise, that can cause one-sided testicle swelling. A hernia is certainly a consideration, but cannot be ruled out without a physical examination. This is why it is very important to have your son seen by a physician as soon as possible. Again, thank you for submitting your question and I hope you will be able to follow up as recommended. Sincerely, Dr. G