Is sudden growth of warts above the base of penis a sign of any disease ?

I had got out of the shower today and noticed a few warts a few inches above the base of the penis, that i didnt notice the other day untill today. There are about 6 of them that I am able to see, they are not clustered all together but in the same general area only about two of the are big, about half the size of a pencil eraser and the others are minute in size about the size of a couple grains of sand. They dont really itch or burn, the two big ones are red in color, but that may be from where I tried one of the at home freeze away kits. I have prior history with warts but only on the hands and that was over 10 years ago, and they went away by their selves. I am able to send pics if email is avalible.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Thanks for the query,

1.Please provide some more info about the problem.
2.Did you have unprotected sex in the last 3 months?
3.Did all the warts appear together?
4.Do you have any warts in the anal region also?
5.Have you been screened for stds?

You can send the photo to YYYY@YYYY ,Sub:ATTN DR Rhea XXXXXXX

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Is sudden growth of warts above the base of penis a sign of any disease ? 33 minutes later
I havnt had sex in the past year,but at that time it was protected during intercourse but wasnt during oral, which happened only once, I had been screened for other stds: hiv,syphillis,hep abc,gonnorhea,chlymidia, all came back negative, i believe they all appeared same time because today is the first time i noticed them and i check myself regularly. no other warts in any other area that I am able to see. I sent the pics
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later
Thanks for the query,

Genital warts are most common signs of sexually transmitted diseases.There are several infections that can produce similar lesions.

Since you have been tested for std and found negative,the other possible cause of the warts may be a virus called human papilloma virus.This virus can lay dormant in the body for several years also,before producing symptoms.Some people are just carriers and dont even have symptoms.

You should get tested for HPV since that is a possible cause.

This is possibly not related to your hands,in the past.

If HPV is found to be the cause then there is no absolute cure for it.The virus will remain in the body but your symptoms can be treated.

There are surgical options to remove them.

So please get tested for HPV first.

Follow-up: Is sudden growth of warts above the base of penis a sign of any disease ? 15 minutes later
well thats what I mean they technically are no on the genitals, just in the vecenity.Were you able to receive the pics?
Follow-up: Is sudden growth of warts above the base of penis a sign of any disease ? 7 minutes later
my last question is, I know you said if it does turn out to be this there is no immediate cure, but i was reading that hpv will go away on its own, that the body will naturally fight it off and clear it from the body, just may take some times, is this true?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 22 minutes later

Thanks again.

I have not received the pictures yet. However we have sent a reminder mail to you 16 hours back about this through my colleague Dr.Mazumdar. I still did not receive any picture.

But from your description, they are on the base of the shaft, aren't they? That qualifies too.

The warts may be seen on the penis,shaft,base or the pernineal region.

HPV does not cure itself. It remains in the body life long but if your immune system is good, then you will remain in good health. There will not be any symptoms. The warts may recur at a later time but can be removed again.

When you say the infection clears from the body, it means that the virus goes into the dormant state. With regular check ups you should be in good health.

Please see your health care provider for the treatment of the warts.

Wishing you early recovery.