Is successful pregnancy possible by intrauterine insemination when suffering from herpes?

hi im planing to get my future wife pregnant through intrauterine insemination. the reason is im affected by genital herpes. last year i did my semen analysis. the results are 36 million of sperm count, sperms 23percent active, 15 percent sluggish and other is inactive. volume is 3ml. reaction is alkaline, viscosity normal and liquification is 30mts. wat do u rate my result. is dis well enough for getting my wife pregnant through intrauterine insemination..
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: While labs may vary in terms of the norms for a semen analysis result, these results sound relatively normal. There is also going to be variation in terms of how and when the specimen was collected and how it was handled. What is more useful is to state the results as: 1. Total count 2. Morphology 3. Motility With regard to the issue of herpes, if you have ever been sexually active with your wife (which I will assume is the case), then it is possible that she has already been exposed to the virus from you. It might be helpful to have "HSV titers" drawn on her to see if she has been exposed and is already immune to the virus. If she is IGG-positive for the virus, then efforts using IUI are a complete waste of your time and money. Also, consider that you shed the virus even when you do not have an active outbreak. If you want to reduce this "viral shedding" then you should consider valtrex 500mg daily as suppressive therapy. I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you.. Detailed Answer: How often do you have active outbreaks of herpes? Have you ever been tested for HIV?
Follow-up: Is successful pregnancy possible by intrauterine insemination when suffering from herpes? 8 minutes later
before 3 years i was affected. had outbreak for 3 weeks. then after 1 year i had outbreak for 10 days. then for 17 months i was free. looked like no any infection. but now for the last 4 months, im having often lasting 3 to 4 days. curing and repeats in 2 r 3 weeks. why is it so.. my last check up for hiv is before 4months and negative. due to my proffesion im passing medical check up every year. hsv check is not included ang never shown any other virus like hiv till last check up.. want to clarify wil hsv infection wil lead to hiv. im not having any sex this 3 years
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for the followup... Detailed Answer: HSV is not a risk for HIV. The two are unrelated. Based on the fact that you are having more outbreaks, it is a good idea to get checked for anything that might affect your immune system (HIV, diabetes, thyroid disease for example) You should be on daily anti-viral suppressive therapy, and then when you have been symptom free for at least a month, resumption of normal sexual activity seems reasonable - talk to your doctor. Based on the results of the semen analysis, the total count is normal, but it appears that the motility is decreased. This should also be addressed by your doctor. I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Is successful pregnancy possible by intrauterine insemination when suffering from herpes? 7 minutes later
thank u for reply. how far is valtrex by suppressive therapy is effective in reducing outbreak and in transmission of virus. how long it should be continued.. as per ur advice wil perform the tests. \ if the therapy gives me good results can i have myself checked for viral shedding and try to make my wife conceive through natural sex im using accyclovir oinment now. so when i start taking valtrex drug can applying of oinment continued togethe
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you... Detailed Answer: The Acyclovir ointment is incredibly less effective that oral medication. Oral Valtrex as a suppressive therapy has clearly been shown to reduce the risk of transmission to an uninfected partner. It is not possible, though, to reduce this risk to zero. At some point, if you are together for a long time, she is probably going to be exposed. But consider that your concerns are twofold: reducing the risk of transmission during a pregnancy and reducing the risk of transmission during your life together. You must talk to your doctor about this. My advice is just "educational" and perhaps exactly what I might tell a patient of my own. I would say that it is reasonable to start oral Valtrex to reduce transmission to a minimal level. It is reasonable to conceive naturally and the effort to reduce transmission by going through IUI is somewhat excessive and unusual. Also, it is very much recommended that she be tested to see if she is "immunocompetent" to HSV. If she has already been exposed, then this whole discussion is a moot point and the recommendation would be for you to be on suppressive therapy and go ahead with intercourse. This is very important to talk with your doctor about this. There are always going to be risks of transmission during a pregnancy if she has not been exposed at this point. I am not going to promise that you won't have problems, just that the risks are very small. I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Is successful pregnancy possible by intrauterine insemination when suffering from herpes? 16 minutes later
thank u once again. my final query is if im going on a supressive theraphy can i continue applying accyclovir oinment or to stop it. can oral valtrex and oinment can b done together. your advice is very much helpful.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 25 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome... Detailed Answer: Yes, you can continue the ointment. You could perhaps just apply it to the specific site of outbreaks, but over time, I think that the Valtrex alone is all that you need. It has been a pleasure to help you and good luck!