Ask a Urologist   »  

Is stomach bloating common after kidney operation?

Jul 2016

My father had a surgery a week back to get rid of kidney stones. Surgery pain is gradually reducing. He is able to walk a little and able to sit for sometime. Now his urination and stool discharge is normal. But stomach bloating is there. He does not eat much because of this problem. Is this stomach bloating/fullness a common problem after kidney operation? This problem was not there before surgey.He feels stomach is full of gas. He is still in hospital and I wanted to know the root cause and get your advice. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Normal to have these symptoms after major Surgery. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your father has undergone surgery for Kidney stone removal one week back and now has loss of appetite(Anorexia),bloating etc. These symptoms are normal after any major surgery and more noticed in elderly patient. Do not worry these symptoms will gradually wane away over a period of 2-3weks and will have his normal diet and appetite. Please give him light diet preferably fruit juice.soft died like curd rice to start with and gradually switch on to his routine diet. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.