Is shortness of breath caused due to sports induced asthma?

Dec 2012

My daughter is sixteen and plays soccer once a week. She has started to complain about shortness of breath. Could it be sports enduced asthma? My main concern is a blood clot from birth control pills. I have a friend who's daughter was full of them from hers. My daughter takes Otho-Cyclen.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I do not think it is due to blood clot disorder Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I will like to start by letting you know that I do not think it is as a result of blood clot disorder such as pulmonary embolism. Reason for this is because it is an acute and serious condition that will not only cause mild shortness of breath but severe acute which can often lead to sudden death. In the other hand, your daughter is clearly not receiving enough oxygen to her lungs which could be due to mild asthma or some lung or cardiac diseases. Other causes could be compression of the chest wall, dust in the environment, emotional distress, such as anxiety/panic attacks etc. In any case, I suggest she gets examined by a cardiologist as soon as possible so she can fully evaluated for any existing diseases. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah