Is shock treatment recommended for irregular heartbeat?

Question
I am being treated for Atrial Fibillation by a cardiologist. I am currently taking Pradaxa to thin my blood and prevent a stroke. I am also taking Propafenone. I have been taking these meds for a month. My heartbeat is still irregular. My doctor told me that if my heartbeat doesn't get back to normal within another month he wants to give my heart a shock treatment to get it back in a normal rhythm. Would you recommend the shock treatment? That is a concern to me.For the six weeks I have changed my diet and have omitted processed carbos and sugars. I have limited my alcohol to one or two glasses of red wine only twice per week. I have lost 17 ponds since I begaqn this healthy diet. My weight has dropped from 235 to 218 and I am 6' 2".
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Follow-up: Is shock treatment recommended for irregular heartbeat? 6 minutes later
For the six weeks I have changed my diet and have omitted processed carbos and sugars. I have limited my alcohol to one or two glasses of red wine only twice per week. I have lost 17 ponds since I begaqn this healthy diet. My weight has dropped from 235 to 218 and I am 6' 2".

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: No worry / safe / Go ahead Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic Yes, I definitely recommend The aim is to control the RHYTHM If not feasible only / or as interim management / trial of drugs is given – to control the RATE Prolonged arrhythmia and fast rate may cause problems and hence the need for shock A shock IMMEDIATELY converts [to normal (sinus) rhythm] No cause for concern / It is very safe / and often the initial treatment – in most cases Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless