Is sexual intercourse safe when 4 months pregnant?

Excellent
Question
Hi Doctor, My wife has just completed 4 months of her pregnancy. Most of the people told us not to have sex during pregnancy. I need to know whether we can have sex or not. Do it have any complications on the baby? Another question, My wife's baby bump sometimes seems big and sometimes it gets small..Is it normal and also she has sometimes severe backpain.... All this are normal in pregnancy?
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Cori Baill 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sex during pregnancy will not harm the baby. Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your on HealthcareMagic. Pregnancy is a very special time for a couple. Especially her first baby. There is no reason that you and your wife cannot enjoy marital intimacy unless there is some complication of the pregnancy that I'm not aware of. During a normal pregnancy it is alright to maintain relationships until the bag of water breaks or mom is so uncomfortable that it is no longer a pleasant endeavor. Your second question relates to the baby bump. As a baby changes position the size of the bump may alter as well. This is especially noticeable in a thin woman. I assume that your wife is under the care of an obstetrician who's keeping track of the baby's growth. Mid pregnancy at 20 weeks from the last menstrual period, the bump's top should be approximately even with the belly button and should grow approximately one finger with each week. Finally you ask if back pain is normal. The ligaments in the pelvis and back relax during pregnancy in preparation for stretching during labor. Also the center of gravity has shifted and weight has increased. All of these factors can contribute to back discomfort. however if the pain comes and goes and the belly is tightening and relaxing than the back pain can be a sign of early labor that requires a trip to the clinic. Your wife should be sure to be well hydrated, drink lots of water. She should rest with her feet elevated when possible. And you should rub her back and help with the housework especially heavy lifting such as laundry baskets and groceries. I wish you every happiness and a joyful successful pregnancy. Dr Cori Baill