Is resting heart rate in the low 50's considered safe?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
My resting heart rate is in the low 50's. Is this too low? What is considered unsafe?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Depends on a number of factors. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. The normal resting heart rate depends on age, general health, medication, level of relaxation. You do not mention your age or any health issues. Therefore, I assume you are fit and well. If you feel well and are not light-headed or dizzy then this heart rate is fine for you. It falls within the normal range for the resting heart rate in an adult. In answer to your specific question, an unsafe heart rate depends on the factors I have mentioned above. I hope this has answered your question adequately. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB. FRCA

Follow-up: Is resting heart rate in the low 50's considered safe? 3 minutes later
Sorry.....Im 37. I do feel a bit lightheaded at times. My BP is consistently 150/85 when i check it. Ive been going to the gym more recently and consistently (6 weeks, 3-4 times per). Ive noticed my resting heart rate has fallen since I began going to the gym.

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: This heart is fine. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the further details. As you have been going to the gym and your heart rate has fallen since you started, I can reassure you that it is a good sign and you are benefiting from an increase in cardiovascular fitness. The occasional episode of light- headedness may indicate that you have slightly over-done the exercise but should not deter you from continuing your programme. Ensure you keep well hydrated and you eat regular meals. There is no need to worry about your heart rate. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Is resting heart rate in the low 50's considered safe? 2 hours later
Most mornings my hands are numb when i wake up. They are resting at my side, not sleeping on them. Could this be the result of anything I've stated already?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Changes in your arms will not be related to pulse Detailed Answer: Hi, No, this will not be related to any heart condition or a heart rate in the 50s. It may be that lying with your arms in this position for a number of hours causes slight pressure on the nerves at the elbow leading to numbness. This will not be serious and you could try an alternative position for your arms when you sleep. Hope this helps you. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger