Is my blood report normal ? Are there any indications of cancer as I am feeling sleepy and weak ?

ENT Specialist
just had the WBC report cell count is 4.6 thou/ul, neutrophils is 50 %, EOSINOPHIS is 2 %
LYMPHOCYTES is 38 % ( I am concern about this LYMPHOCYTES is that high),
MONOCYTES is 9 %(concern about this MONOCYTES level also, is that high)
BASOPHIS is 1%, and vitamin B12 also 254 pg/ml, CREATININE level is 0.9 mg/ml
actually need the idea all this report is normal are need to take care of this ?

and i am feeling very sleepy ad weak whole day
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

After going through your blood report I am not able to identify any variations in the report which indicates cancer. All the blood parameters are normal you need not worry about that.

The normal WBC (white blood cell) counts are as follows:
•     Neutrophils: 40% to 60%
•     Lymphocytes: 20% to 40%
•     Monocytes: 2% to 8%
•     Eosinophils: 1% to 4%
•     Basophils: 0.5% to 1%
You can compare by yourself, all the blood counts are within the normal limits. So need to worry thinking that it could be cancer. Weakness and drowsiness could be because of various reasons like lack of vitamins, nutrition, psychological, hormonal changes, lack of exercises, dehydration, etc.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of water, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, exercise every day. Keep yourself relaxed.

Hope I have answered your queries. Any more doubts you are welcome.

Follow-up: Is my blood report normal ? Are there any indications of cancer as I am feeling sleepy and weak ? 9 hours later
what range should be decided the cancer stage? can you tell me in detail

Welcome back and thanks again,

Blood counts are not the only parameters to decide the cancer stage. There are various other patient related factors, investigations, etc. which are take into consideration before deciding about the stages of cancer.

To explain to you in a nut shell, the normal White Blood Cell count (WBC) is 4,500-10,000 per microliter (mcL). The WBCs are further differentiated into neutrophils, basophils, lymphocytes, monocytes and eosinophils. There are various conditions which can alter these blood counts. The following are those conditions which affect these WBC counts:

Neutrophils (40% to 60%): can increase in response to bacterial infection or inflammatory disease (tuberculosis). Other causes include bone marrow disorders (such as neutrophil levels may be the result of severe infection or other conditions, such as responses to various medications, chemotherapy, etc.

Eosinophils (1% to 4%): can increase in response to allergic disorders, parasitic infections and bone marrow disorders. Sometimes, decreased levels of eosinophils can occur as a result of infection.

Basophils (0.5% to 1%): can increase in cases of leukemia, chronic inflammation, the presence of a hypersensitivity reaction to food, or radiation therapy.

Lymphocytes (20% to 40%):can increase in conditions such as viral infection, leukemia (blood cancer), bone marrow cancer, or radiation therapy. Decreased lymphocyte levels can indicate diseases that affect the immune system, such as later stages of HIV infection.

Monocyte(2% to 8%):levels can increase in response to infection of all kinds as well as to inflammatory disorders. Monocyte counts are also increased in certain malignant disorders such as leukemia. In case of bone marrow injury or failure and some forms of leukemia there can be decreased monocyte levels.

Hence, blood parameters have to be correlated with the patient symptoms as well the clinical findings and other investigations such as CT scan/MRI/X-Ray/Radionucleotide scan, bone marrow biopsy etc. to diagnose a disease condition.

The following links given below are for your further reference:
Wish you Good Health

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow-up: Is my blood report normal ? Are there any indications of cancer as I am feeling sleepy and weak ? 7 hours later
thank you for this details only concern about leukemia (blood cancer) because my Lymphocytes level little bit more almost near means 38 %, and MONOCYTES is also 9 %, if that increase may be future, it can be problematic, what level should be decided the cancer stage in only two part [tell me this level only in percentage]
I m tension pls help me for this query

and when I did this report that time I didn't had any viral infection

thanks again
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Your blood levels are within normal limits and for a person to have leukemia his WBC counts should be very high with other blood parameters like Platelets and RBCs should be lower than the normal. Apart from this other constitutional symptoms such as low grade fever, swellings of the glands (lymph nodes) in the neck, arm pits and elsewhere in the body, bleeding tendencies, bony pains, etc. should also be present.

Do not be apprehensive, you are a perfectly healthy adult. Hope, there is no predisposing factors such as chronic smoking, exposure to radiation, chemotherapy, etc.

Various factors are taken into account before categorizing Leukemia into different stages. Two major divisions are Acute and Chronic and again it is further divided into the following subtypes:
•     Acute lymphoblastic leukemia, or ALL.
•     AML.
•     Chronic lymphocytic leukemia, or CLL.
•     Chronic myelogenous leukemia, or CML.
And, it is not possible to mention all those stages in this discussion. Below are the links which can be useful to you –
I would suggest you to eat well, exercise regularly and avoid excess coffee or tea or smoking if any.