Is missing periods of 3 consecutive months, a sign of perimenopause ?

Im 35 y/o woman - my period has been missing for 3 months- my recent blood work results below. Doc says this can be signs of Perimenoupause..can you explain whats wrong with my FSH and LH levels? is there a way to slow down the process?
LH- 46.4
Follicular Phase 2.4-12.6
ovulation phase 14.0 - 95.6
Luteal Phase 1.0 - 11.4
Postmenopausal 7.7- 58.5

FSH 78.7
OVULATION 4.7 - 21.5

TSH 2.200 0.450-4.500
PROLACTIN 21.2 4.8-23.3

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

Can you provide me with some information on your problem , so that i could help you better :

1.Have you had regular cycles before?
2.Any menstrual problems before?
3.Did you have an ultrasound recently?
4.Do you have kids?
5.Apart from delayed periods,any other symptoms?
6.Any history of early menopause in your maternal side?

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Is missing periods of 3 consecutive months, a sign of perimenopause ? 38 minutes later
1- My cycles have been every 26 days on the dot- very regular until last year which i missed a month.

2- No menstrual problems until the current one. My last period was in february an only for 2 days which i only spotted.

3. No ultrasound lately.

4. no kids

5. yes - anxiety, hot flashes, lack of sleep, lingering pain on my left side on the ovary area. As in PMS cramp but it never goes away for the last month.

6. yes my mother experience menopause at the age of 36 (she completely stopped menstruating).
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 23 minutes later

Thanks for the details.

Your blood tests indicate premature ovarian failure.That means that you may be approaching menopause earlier than normal.Having positive family history is strongly indicative of this.Often its seen that if the patients mother/aunt has similar history,then early menopause is likely.

Premature menopause is a process that is unlikely to be reversed.The symptoms can be managed with fertility.If you desire children then you need to discuss options with a fertility specialist.Also i suggest that you get an ultrasound.Consult your doctor about medicines for withdrawal bleeding.

Follow-up: Is missing periods of 3 consecutive months, a sign of perimenopause ? 33 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your response. I have one last mother was born premature...could her early menopause be related to that?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

No, premature birth is not related to early menopause. There are several causes like genetic predisposition, ovarian failure, radiation treatment etc. In your case, I suppose it could be due genetic predisposition.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.