Is lower abdominal pain a side effect of GasX while taking omeorazole for GERD?

Rheumatologist
Question
For the past two weeks I have been very flatulent, several times a day. Yesterday it was even worse, I could not stop. When I got home from work last night I took GasX and went to sleep. I woke up this morning and used the bathroom, it was very loose, but it felt very relieving. However, I feel a little pain in my lower left abdomen now, and it intensifies when I press the center of my stomach; when I press the center of my stomach I feel a little pain the left side only. Could my stomach be sore? is this an effect of GasX? or is there possibly something else wrong? I do suffer from gerd and I take prescription omeorazole daily. I am 40 years old male.
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into the query I will like to tell you it will be very difficult to point out anything in concrete because it can be a symptom of a number of disease . In my advise you should get a USG Abdomen done to look for exact etiology . Gas X contains simethicone and it is known to cause Gastrointestinal disturbances like diarrhoea , so this episode can definitely be attributed to this but still You should get yourself investigated . An UGI Endoscopy will be able to see if there is any development of ulcer in the stomach or duodenum . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Is lower abdominal pain a side effect of GasX while taking omeorazole for GERD? 8 minutes later
After submitting my question I took ibuorofen and now the pain is gone, I feel no pain when I press on my stomach, so could it possibly be a sore muscle?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, It could be crampy pain that would have got relieved . Ibuprofen acts in all types of pain , it could be smooth muscles inside that would have gone in spasm that got relieved . Dr. Shruti