Is liver transplantation possible for cirrhosis due to chronic hepatitis C?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been diagnosed with primary bilary stage 4 cirrhosis secondary to hepatitis C. I have O negative blood. Does any of this mean I can't be a candidate for a transplant? I am also 60 years old and a non drinker since college, no tattoos, no drug use, no idea how I contacted hepatitis C.
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. There is definitely no contraindication to liver transplantatio and actually cirrhosis due to chronic hepatitis C viral infection has become the leading indication for liver transplantation. So just have faith and since you dont have associated diseases as you mentioned, I am sure that possible transplantation would be more than succesful. Most people dont know how HEP C infection happened. Unfortunately it is not transmissed only by needles or sexual contact. There are many other possible ways. But it is not important at this point and you cant change it. You need to focus on your health now and find strength and patiency for further treatment. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Is liver transplantation possible for cirrhosis due to chronic hepatitis C? 58 minutes later
Thank you for your help. I had concerns about my O Negative blood type. Could it be a problem? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 25 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: O- is rare blood type, and liver transplant requires blood type compatibility but this isnt significantly affecting chances of getting new liver since Rh factor positive or negative does not affect your suitability.