Is kidney damage and hypoglycaemia interrelated?

Hi, I am 24 year old female. I recently discovered from having a very bad kidney infection that only one of my kidneys is fully functioning. The kidney that got infected is small, scarred and only working at 10%. My tests are still on going as it is suspected i have had this all my life and by being hospitalised it was discovered. Following on from this today i suffered what I call the shakes, roasting hot, pukie feeling that I have to sit down with or i feel i would fall over. This my doctor hold me in the past is hypoglycaemia that I used to suffer quite a bit but had forgotten as I haven't suffered it in quite a while! So this us the first incidence since I learnt about my kidney. I am wondering if there is a connection of the two? My attacks are very very short lived as I have learnt a few takes of an energy drink and althou for a while after I feel the affects I am as good as new. Thank you, XXXX
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Stress related hypoglycemia Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Since you learnt about your condition, you may be under lot of stress psychologically and also metabolically due to kidney damage. Stress is a strong trigger for hypoglycemia. This could be the reason you may be experiencing the problems. Also do discuss about the blood urea levels, increased levels of urea in blood can result in such symptoms. Increased urea is a expected presentation in kidney diseases. Wish you good health. regards,
Follow-up: Is kidney damage and hypoglycaemia interrelated? 4 hours later
Hi, Thank you. I did just start a vew job and although I cannot say I feel under great stress I do tend to feel ill ir get headaches rather than become feeling stressed so I believe that is true that it is stress related. Just on the last piece of info are you saying that the symptoms I discussed tat I believe to be hypoglycaemia are the same symptoms of increase urea in blood? Just if so I must get bloods checked as I do not want to be back with kidney infection, Thank you, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Yes, the symptoms you have may be due to uremia. Its always good to test the blood urea levels considering the kidney damage you had. Regards,