Is it safe to travel by road during the inital pregnancy stage?

Mar 2016

My wife is on early stage of pregnancy. She missed her period on 2nd Dec, 2013. But we planned to go XXXXXXX on 18th Dec,13 by Volvo. Is it safe to travel by bus to XXXXXXX as it is almost 14hrs journey, although bus will provide some stopage...but is it going be harmful for her to travel so long???
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NEED HER DOCTOR'S PERMISSION & ONE CHECK-UP. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. Long time journey (14 hrs) with mostly smooth and good roads is quite safe in the first trimester pregnancy if she gets a comfortable seat. However, journey with bad roads and mostly uneven surface have some risks in early stage of pregnancy like vaginal bleeding or increased risk of miscarriage and others are vomiting, general sickness, dehydration etc. At this stage, she needs a complete check up with ultrasound scan to determine pregnancy status with fetal well being and exclude associated risk if any. Doctor's permission is mandatory in such case. You must contact with traveler company to book a comfortable seat for safe journey. Some Precautions are to be taken as follows: 1) Keep always emergency contact information of your health care provider or near by hospital. 2) Need a comfortable seat preferably in middle zone of bus with open window for fresh air. 3) Complete avoidance of long time standing position and never get off from moving bus. 4) Take some medication in travel kits for morning sickness/ nausea/ vomiting/ indigestion problem. 5) Avoid air pollution or smoking zone and herein air conditioner bus traveling is preferable. Use hand sanitizer and toilet papers to reduce chance of getting infection in outside environment. 6) Drink several times water/ fluids/ juice to stay hydrated all time and it helps in better feto-placental circulation. She will take only healthy diet. Hope, this information is very much sufficient and helpful to you. If you do not have any further clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer. Wish her good health & successful journey of pregnancy. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Is it safe to travel by road during the inital pregnancy stage? 38 minutes later
Thanks for the response. Please let me know the medicine for morning sickness/ nausea/ vomiting/ indigestion problem. I have taken 3rd row seat in a Volvo, semi sleeper, 2x2 with leg rest space. will it be sufficient? What kind of healthy diet she can take in dinner, please suggest. Will 15 hrs journey in a comfortable seat will be ok for her, sitting continuously in a single place will create any problem or not.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. 1) She can take DOXINATE PLUS (Doxylamine, Pyridoxine & Folic Acid) 2 tabs at night or before sleeping to reduce morning sickness or nausea/ vomiting. For indigestion problem, RANTAC (Ranitidine) 150 mg is preferred in early stage of pregnancy. Drink more water with easy digestible foods. 2) Seat position is quite good for smooth journey. However, she will stand up and walk shortly when bus will stop or she can adjust within the bus. Long time sitting or standing is not preferable. 3) Healthy diet includes easy digestible foods with more vegetables and protein (like chicken, pulses or paneer etc with rice or bread which she prefers). She will take total 6 meals daily instead of 3 large meals. Fluid intake should be 2.5 to 3 lit daily to stay hydrated. 4) Continuous sitting in one place should be avoided. When bus will stop or she gets enough time, she can walk shortly or stand up. It will be helpful for better systemic circulation. Hope, I have guided you properly. All the best and happy journey. Regards, Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Is it safe to travel by road during the inital pregnancy stage? 10 minutes later
Thank you for a clear answer. my last question is : Please let me know whether DOXINATE PLUS will have any side effect on her.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: DOXINATE PLUS IS QUITE SAFE DURING PREGNANCY. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for additional query. DOXINATE PLUS or same group of medicine is the preferred one to cut off morning sickness or nausea. There is no harmful effect on baby or mother and it is quite safe during pregnancy. Hope, it helps for you. Good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen