Is it safe to take verapamil along with tenormin?

I am on verapamil 240mg and just was put on Tenormin 25mg by my Crnp. I have read that these should not be combined. I am very tired. My pharmacy confirmed not good to take together. I am unable to reach crnp til monday. Can I just stop tenormin after taking 3 days?
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Verapamil is one such drug which has multiple drug interactions. The list is ever-growing. But, yes, one of the drugs already on the list is tenormin.

A few of the most common side-effects seen in individuals taking both drugs are: palpitations, asthenia (condition in which body has or appears to have lost strength; which could be what you are experiencing), nausea, fever, vomiting, dizziness, hypotension, chest pains, cardiac failure, back pain, etc.

In most cases these side-effects have been seen, with very few individuals not experiencing any effects from the drugs interacting. It is thus advised to avoid this combination. Even if you are not experiencing any side effects, it is best to keep your doctor informed about this.

I hope this helps. Do write back to me for any more clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.