Is it safe to take topiramate for migraines?

i was wondering if you could give me some advice on the tablet topiramate history of migraine type headaches have taken pizotifen but was sleepy whilst on them.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Topiramate can be used to prevent migraine headaches but not to relieve the pain of migraine headaches when they occur. This drug is considered an anticonvulsants. It works by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain. Try to take the medicine at the same time daily. It's important to take it with food and follow the directions regarding how to take the medicine. Its very important to drink plenty of water during the day while taking this medicine. Also, it can cause drowsiness so be aware of that. Thanks for submitting your question, I hope this helped. Dr G