Is it safe to take medical marijuana for back pain while taking Plavix?

can i smoke medical marijuana for my back pain while taking plavix?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

You have been prescribed Medical Marijuana for back pain, you are also taking Plavix.

Plavix is used for prevention of harmful blood clots in people who have had a recent heart attack, a stroke, severe chest pain, peripheral artery disease (PAD).

Medical marijuana, also called marinol (Dronabin) is used for many conditions including relieving pain. But even though there has been no research or studies on the interaction between Plavix and Marinol, it is better to avoid, since there has been reports of Cerebrovascular incidents like stroke and decreased response to stimuli.

Also, most common physical side effects of marinol include lack of energy, stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, racing heart rate, facial flushing, and dizziness. The most common psychological side effects of marinol include anxiety, sleepiness, confusion, hallucinations, and paranoia. So it should be avoided during driving too.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.