Is it safe to take Raspberry Ketone while breastfeeding?

Hi, is it safe to take Raspberry Ketone while breastfeeding?? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Safer food additive but little safety data. Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for your query. I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions. Raspberry ketone as a food additive has been claimed to produce weight loss. Although medical debate exists even today as no concrete clinical evidence is present. About safety in general, USFDA has classified it as GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) category under food additives. However, I personally believe that there are other alternatives to weight loss or any other claimed use of Raspberry Ketone. And I would not recommend this for my patient, especially so if one is pregnant or lactating woman. Purely, safety data does not exist for adults and children, leave alone special considerations like pregnancy and lactation. Kindly discuss options with your primary physician before taking this too. Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question. Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions. Sincerely, Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD. Consultant Physician.