Is it safe to take Postinor more than once? How can I prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex?

Dear Doctor,
I took Postinor (1500 microgram levonorgestrel) 72 hours ago after unprotected sexual activity. 30 hours after taking the pill, which is 42 hours ago now, I had an unprotected sexual activity again. I am referring to it as sexual activity because there were no actual penetration. My partner ejaculated, although it was not directly on my genital area, I am worried that the pre-ejaculation fluid or the semen itself came in contact with my vagina by touching. I am not sexually active and I'm not intending to be; and my hymen is still intact. This was just a one time mistake I'll never do again, and I'm quite worried(and obsessed) about pregnancy. Is it safe to take Postinor again? Or are there any other ways that you would advice me to prevent pregnancy at this stage? Do I have to take pregnancy test afterwards and when should I take it to get the most accurate results? By the way I have been keeping a calender for my menstruations almost a year now; it is not always regular:
17 February - 20 February
8 April - 12 April
12 May - 16 May
16 July - 20 July
1 September - 5 September
30 September - 4 October
21 November - 25 November (my last one)
Thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 14 hours later

As your last menstrual period is 25th November, so you have to wait till last week of December to get your period.
As you have already taken 1500 micrograms of the levonorgestrel so there is no need to take another tablet , just wait and watch.

If your periods don't start after 25th December, repeat the urine test. If you are pregnant, I can counsel you about the available methods for termination of pregnancy.

Meanwhile, do not take stress as it can also delay your periods

I hope I have answered your query. Any further query is most welcome. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Is it safe to take Postinor more than once? How can I prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex? 36 minutes later
Dear Doctor,
I would like to thank you for the information you have provided. I have done something actually foolish while waiting for your answer. I was really afraid and the time was ticking so I took another Postinor pill before the 48 hours were over from my last activity.
Since the delay of my periods is not a surprise to me, and it is indicated in the pill's printed instructions that it may cause a shift; I assume that there is a chance of me not having my next period on time. Since it is also an indication of pregnancy, I'll repeat my urine tests as you said.
So, for after 25th of December, if I keep on getting negative results; what is the chance of this result being a false negative? Would the 2 1500 micrograms of levonorgestrel I have taken affect the credibility of this test? And which from which date should I take the result as a true negative?
Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 18 hours later

Welcome back

There is no need to worry , the extra tablet will cause withdrawal bleeding usually on the same dates or the period may be irregular.

Chances of heavy bleeding are more with two tablets

As far as pregnancy is concerned the test will not give false negative
If you want to be extra sure before the dates you can give your blood sample in the lab for beta hCG levels

No need to worry

Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome